Saturday, March 7, 2020

Masa Harina is my Friend



Dispatch from Yakima WA. Training Update
WARNING-Some may consider the following to be TMI (too much information). Read at your own risk, preferably not during a meal.

With just 10 weeks to go before the first of my two 50k trail races in May, I may have finally figured out my nutrition. Ultra-runners are familiar with the term “runner’s trots” describing gut issues encountered during long runs. Ever since training for my first marathon way back when, I have had off and on issues with this annoying problem. When I did long training runs on pavement I would plot my course to ensure I passed porta-potties, gas stations and other public facilities, just in case.
On wilderness runs I always carry pack out bags for emergencies #leavenotrace. An inordinate amount of time has been wasted in Honey-Buckets during races, making my overall pace that of a snail.
Well, on my long run last week, 22 miles, I had NO issues, and it suddenly hit me…I’ve been over fueling! I had been following fueling guidelines informed by my nutrition counseling certification, advice from coaches and exhaustive online research. And guess what? Most of it didn’t really work for me. I did the math and consumed copious calories based on the figures and felt as though I HAD to fuel up before long runs. I would get up hours before an early run to make sure my stomach had settled in before hitting the trails.
For the 22-mile run, I decided to forgo my protein shake, my vitamins (high in C) and skipped the coffee. Instead, I ate 2 corn tortillas heated up with a bit of an organic non-dairy butter spread. On the trail, I had a couple of my pinole chia biscuits and my homemade yam goo and I felt fantastic, didn’t hit a wall and didn’t have to crawl into the bushes wasting time and energy.
Of course, I did consume my vitamins and my protein and recovery drinks immediately following the run and I ate a huge meal later, but prior to and during the run it just wasn’t necessary.
Yesterday I did 10 miles using the same formula, two tortillas made from masa harina, with the same success.
Next Friday I have a 24-miler planned and I hope it works out as well. I’ll be sure to post an update as I’m sure everyone just can’t wait to hear the latest news about my digestive health.


No comments:

Post a Comment