Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Training Update - Preparing for Bryce Canyon 60k

Haleakala - House of the Sun

To say that I was struggling would be an understatement. I was all up in my head, freaked out about the cutoff times for the upcoming race and freaked out about my lack of training. Winter was WET on Maui making many of my trails un-runable, then snow and ice blocked off Haleakala, my main training ground, then I had a bad cold, not to mention the fact that I've been bouncing from house to house for the last 6 months, making things unsettled in general.  ALL excuses....all things that should not have interfered with my training, but I let them. Yesterday was a reckoning, yesterday I HAD to get through a long-ish run, to prove to my mind and my body that I could do it. I needed to do something to shake me out of my head and into beast mode. 

So Saturday night I picked my course, a road run, 16 miles with a couple long, steep hills. I prepped my yam and kalamata olives, I packed my e-shots, gels and pickle juice. I put water in my hydration pack and Tailwind nutrition in my extra bottle. I was well hydrated and ate a big plate of salmon, rice and salad. I slept well.
View of north shore from Wailuku Heights

I woke up feeling good and headed out just as the sky was getting light. It was cool at first but I could tell it was going to be a scorcher. My first 2.5 miles were straight uphill as the sun rose and the heat began. I then traversed Wailuku Heights to Iao Valley where the jungly vegetation and rushing river cooled things down a bit. I snaked up the lush road to the park and stopped to snap a few shots before heading back down. 


Iao Valley



Iao River

As I passed the Heritage Park I heard an angry screaming female voice coming from a couple cars parked at the side of the road; raging, vicious ranting that sounded like it could escalate into violence. I couldn't understand what was being said and I didn't want to. A little farther down the road one of the cars passed me going down the hill, then it slowed, then it backed up. I prepared to run like crazy but they just turned around and headed back up, then turned around and headed down again. Creepy. But then another mile down the hill I saw her pulled over by 3 police cars, handcuffed, standing outside her vehicle. As I continued running down, 3 more police cars headed up. 6 cars for one woman. Guess they were having a slow morning. The drama distracted me temporarily but it did nothing to alleviate the heat or the hurt. I haven't been running on road lately and the difference that pounding makes on your body is considerable. The next 8 miles were completely exposed without a hint of shade on sticky asphalt and glaring white concrete sidewalks. I ran/walked the remainder, sucking up the last of my Tailwind and almost all my water. 
But I did it. I made it through the 16 miles and broke a mental barrier that had been hounding me. 
On my next long run I'll add altitude but stay in the shade, then I'll move back up to hot, high, exposed, Haleakala for some serious altitude work.I know that anything can happen on race day, but now at least my mindset is more positive and prepared. 
I'm doing this run to support Breast Cancer Prevention Partners and to honor the memory of Leslie Vanoni, who lost her life to metastatic breast cancer and to support Susanne Jorgensen in her current journey. If you wish to donate, go to https://donate.bcpp.org/trailrunnermarie 


My Altra road shoes get the least use of all my 13 pair of running shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment