Friday, August 24, 2018

Training Update for Baker Lake 50k

Cougar Mountain


Well, the training for the Baker Lake 50k has been sketchy. I’m in the Pacific Northwest, spending time with my brothers and if you haven’t heard, it’s smoky as heck up here. Getting out on the trails has been hazardous to my health most days so I’m sneaking in runs on days when the wind clears the air a bit and am doing kettle bell workouts indoors. Last Saturday I did luck out by heading 2.5 hours west and managed to get in a fairly solid 20-mile run on the John Wayne Pioneer Trail from Rattlesnake Lake in North Bend, WA. I was slow but steady in the just slightly smoky air. The air quality index was rated “moderate”, not good, but I had a fun time on a new trail and had some great interactions with friendly runners, bikers and climbers. A couple days later the smoke was back in so I just did a quick jog on Cougar Mountain east of Seattle.

My brother worries about me running trails alone. When I mentioned I was going to run at Cougar Mountain he sent me this text.

When confronting a cougar:
1-    Don’t run
2-    Look large and be loud
3-    Grab a stick and throw rocks as big as you can accurately throw
4-    Know your location if you need help
5-    Protect your head and neck
6-    Fight back
7-    Gouge eyes
8-    Throw dirt
If you survive the attack and live to write about it in your blog, mention that people should avoid running at locations named Cougar Mountain, Bear Creek, Mosquito Flats and Rattlesnake Lake.

Considering that my braid swings back and forth like a giant cat toy I think his advice might be sound.

I wish we could direct some of Hurricane Lane’s rain to this area to douse the fires. Hopefully I’ll get in some more solid training before the October 6th race. In the meantime, I’m still fundraising for Breast Cancer Prevention Partners (formerly Breast Cancer Fund) and have $641 to go to my $4000 goal so if you have not donated there is still time. I recommend doing it now before you forget. J
For those of you who have donated, huge thanks to you for your support.

Don’t forget you can follow the work of BCPP here, www.bcpp.org  
And you can easily and safely donate here https://donate.bcpp.org/maried

Wholy Moses Trail, Rocky Top, Yakima

John Wayne Pioneer Trail

7 year old sending it!






No comments:

Post a Comment