Saturday, October 21, 2017

Blessed Rain and Running Trails

Back on the trails for my first run since the fires in Northern California blanketed the area with hazardous air. My lungs have taken a toll this season, first in Washington and now here. Night before last I was awakened by the sound of pouring rain and I breathed a prayer of thanks before curling deeper under my covers. In the morning I headed to Tennessee Valley for a short run on Oakwood Valley Trail. I filled my nose with damp, earthy, loamy aromas and filled my lungs with clean, moist air. I grinned from ear to ear. Before I'd taken my first 50 strides I met a fat, healthy banana slug, reveling in the saturated dirt. Hard to tell when a banana slug is reveling, but I'm guessing that's what it was doing. As usual, I didn't get a hard solid workout in because I was stopping to shoot photos, and once again I wish I could post scratch and sniff because the air was rich with scents of eucalyptus, pine and salty sea. 
My heart goes out to those dealing with great loss in the aftermath of the tragic fires. My sister is here dealing with her own issues of loss and disorientation after going through two category five hurricanes in St. Croix so I'm gaining a small bit of understanding about what people are going through and what so many people around the globe are going through. 
I feel blessed and so fortunate to be able to light-heartedly jog a gorgeous, safe trail. My gratitude is huge, I don't take these blessings for granted. I hope that my images brighten someones day. 












No comments:

Post a Comment